Friday, June 19, 2009

Safety Town

Won't you take me to...Safety Town? We've been singing that for the past two weeks because Kathryn has been attending Safety Town. It is a program that is run by the City of O'Fallon Police Department. Well, here it is in their own words:
"Safety Town is a program for youngsters age 4½ - 6 that teaches the basics of keeping safe. Certified teachers, police officers, firefighters and other experts coach children as they practice and experience “real life” situations through a simulated town layout. Lessons teach how to be safe with traffic, bikes, water, fire, poisons, animals and personal safety."
Some important things that Kathryn learned are: Stop, Look, Listen (before you cross the street), that policemen are our friends, not to go with strangers, to always wear your helmet when you're riding your bike, how to call 911, and more I'm sure.

Here is Kathryn with Sam, her counselor, in front of safety town.
Women from the Ladies Auxillary that help support Safety Town and the yummy graduation cake.
Sydney being a poser.
Kathryn trying to put on a brave face. She gets so shy and nervous in these situations. As my stepmom would say, she got it honest. I can distinctly remember feeling the exact same way. But I can also see the other side now that I'm grown and pretty much not shy.
So, they got up there and sang a cute song and she actually sang. I was impressed. But then it came time for them to walk down the aisle and shake the police officers hands. I tried not to look at her because I knew she was going to have a hard time, and then when they called her name she just started crying and inching down the aisle and then I started crying and it was just embarrassing. Anyway, Officer Dave made a cute joke about her being so sad to leave Safety Town and that made it a little better. She came and hugged me and we cried together. I'm actually tearing up as I write this. I'm not even that emotional about it, I'm just a suggestive crier. I CAN NOT help crying if I see someone else crying. IF it's sincere crying. The fakers don't get me.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Amy said...

It looks fun! I can't wait for our turn in July!

Lindsey said...

Thinking of the two of you crying together made me laugh hysterically.